The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

Service Spotlight

Habitat for Humanity
Photo from @sjnkeyclub
Key Club members at the dedication ceremony watching new homeowners receive the keys to their home!

Another frequent volunteer opportunity for Saint John Neumann Key Club members is Habitat for Humanity. Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization that helps families build and improve places to call home. They believe that affordable housing plays a critical role in strong and stable communities. 

Our typical build days are on Saturday mornings from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Key Club members gather at the construction site on Whitaker Rd. and assist with a multitude of projects including painting, waterproofing, and picking up trash/nails. While volunteering, we have also had the pleasure of speaking to Habitat for Humanity employees and hearing about the selective process needed in order for a family to be placed in a Habitat home. They have many applicants, so a selective process is needed to determine the applicant family’s willingness to partner with and work alongside volunteers. They also have to consider their ability to pay an affordable mortgage. Habitat homeowners are also required to put in several hours of sweat equity by working with volunteers to help build and renovate the place they will eventually call home.

This hands-on experience deepens the homeowners appreciation for not only the amount of work that goes into the creation of just one home, but also the community and partnership Habitat for Humanity fosters. Additionally, Key Club members were fortunate to see the drastic impact this organization has on our community first hand by witnessing the dedication ceremony at the most recent build. At the ceremony, Habitat families received the keys to their new homes after months of hard work, strength, perseverance, and dedication. It was so rewarding to see the happiness on each new homeowner’s face. It is always a pleasure to work alongside these kind volunteers and help with Habitat for Humanity’s overall mission. Key Club members are looking forward to helping with future building projects in Collier County.