The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

SJN Students Take on The New Digital PSAT

As of 2023, the PSAT and the SAT are officially digital assessments. As stated in ‘Kdcollegeprep’ College Board announced this decision back in January of 2022, stating it will make the test “easier to take,” as well as “more secure.” By 2024, testing will be completely online, ensuring that cheating will be practically impossible, or at least, much more difficult, as each student is given their own testing form. Students can now have the test administered on any laptop or tablet, and the device can be personal or school given.  If the student does not  have access to a device, they can request to borrow one from Collage Board, similar to how AP testing works. 

Along with new testing methods, there are also new studying tools. The “Bluebook” app is easily accessible and provides multiple full length practice tests. Students can also view a test preview where according to ‘satsuitecollegedboard’ “they’ll see a short set of questions that lets them experience digital testing and try out the tools.” This is a great resource for getting to know the new technology and preparing for the new challenges it may bring .“Bluebook” is a great opportunity and study tool for students nationwide. Test scores are also scheduled to come out much sooner than previous versions of the paper test, some being released in as little as three weeks after the test is administered.

Personally, I had a relatively good experience with the digital PSAT. Despite some insignificant technical difficulties during set up, such as Wi-Fi connection issues and app running issues, the test felt easier and even quicker than the previously given paper test. It only took me about two hours to complete. I found that for both the math and English sections, the second part was the most difficult, while the first part was a breeze. 

Other students also weighed in on the new digital testing experience, Cassidy Marzucco says she “enjoyed the PSAT, it felt quicker than the regular test and was structured better.”

Matilde Lanza says she “liked the digital PSAT because it felt like it was faster and much more organized than having paper and pencil.”