The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Annunciation of Mary

The+Annunciation+of+Mary+
@Magic Murals
The Annunciation of Mary

The Annunciation of Mary is when the Angel Gabriel visited the Blessed Virgin Mary to tell her that she would be the mother of the savior. Mary was the first to receive news about a savior of the world. By God’s grace, Mary was immaculately conceived in her mother’s womb to prevent the stain of original sin from touching her. He was preparing her to become the Mother of God.

The Immaculate Conception and the Annunciation are some times confused. The latter celebrates the belief that the Virgin Mary was free of original sin from the moment of her conception, which is when Mary’s mom conceived Mary in her womb, rather than when Mary conceived Jesus in her womb by the Holy Spirit.

Annunciation Quote:

“In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. And he came to her and said, ‘Greetings, favored one!’” Luke 1.26-38

Prayer to Say: The Angelus

We beseech thee, O Lord, pour thy grace into our hearts; that, as we have known the incarnation of thy Son Jesus Christ by the message of an angel, so by his cross and passion we may be brought unto the glory of his resurrection; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Why does Mary wear Blue?

The blue of her cloak has been interpreted to represent the Virgin’s purity, symbolize the skies, and label her as an empress, for blue was associated with Byzantine royalty

Blue inspired Treat:

Ingredients:

2 cups of granulated sugar

2 sticks of butter, at room temperature

2 eggs, at room temperature

1 tablespoon cocoa powder

1 tablespoon of royal blue food coloring

Small dab/drop of violet food coloring

2 ½ cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup of buttermilk

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon vinegar

Baking Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.

In a medium bowl, mix the cocoa, flour, salt, and baking soda together.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, then add eggs, buttermilk, vinegar, and food coloring.

Add in flour mixture and mix until well combined, being careful to not overbeat the batter*.

Spoon mixture into muffin tin liners making sure not to go over half full.

Bake for 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean, and then cool them completely.