The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

A World of Socialism: “1984” by George Orwell 

1984 book jacket by Stephen Cox

Imagine having no control over your life. You must obey the laws of your government or else you could be killed. 

1984 is a chilling page turner. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars for its wit and horror.

In a nutshell, the dystopian protagonist, Winston Smith, faces multiple problems with his government. He acts out of defiance and breaks the laws multiple times. He buys a journal to write an illegal word, which could get him in a heap of trouble. However, he believes he shares a connection with a party mate, who he believes is also against his government. Winston is wrong. This man is a spy, and when he catches Winston, Winston is tortured in the infamous Room 101. He turns against the girl of his dreams, to follow his greedy and now corrupt thoughts. In the end he picks Big Brother (head of government) and forgets about his past beliefs. He becomes a new person, but is just as simple as everyone else.

What will happen next? Does Big Brother succeed in his goal of idealism? Check it out and see. You can buy the book online or check it out from your local library. Or read online by clicking right here.