The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

Collier County Takes the Soldiers out Fishing

Soldiers were flown out to Naples for a fun weekend of fishing and bonding.
Private Photographer
Boat captains and soldiers preparing for the fishing tournament.

Started back in 2011 by retired Collier County Deputy, Steve Loyd, and his wife Jamie Loyd, the Take a Soldier Fishing Day is a public event where volunteers take active or retired soldiers fishing as a fun way to get away for the weekend. The event is set up by volunteers and sponsors. It is a 3-day event, and the soldiers are provided with a host hotel, The Naples Grande, located in Naples, Florida. So

On a Thursday, all of the soldiers arrive. They are then treated to food and entertainment by a comedian, then they all play local golf together on Friday. The fishing tournament takes place on Saturday. Local boat captains from Naples take the soldiers out to the Gulf of Mexico, and whoever catches the biggest fish wins the tournament. The winner receives prizes or items of that nature. After the tournament ends, everyone has a big banquet Saturday evening. Then on Sunday, the soldiers head back to their bases or home, depending on whether or not they are active.

Student volunteers are always invited to come out as well. This year students from St. John Neumann Catholic High School volunteered at the event. Twelve students were divided amongst the morning shift and afternoon shift. The morning shift runs from 5-9 am, and the afternoon shift from 12-5 pm. Student volunteers help with set up, hauling items, carrying the catch, giving out snacks and drinks, and then taking down the tables and chairs. Overall, it is always a successful and enjoyable event and a great way to bring the community and soldiers together.