The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

Updated: The Production of “Clue” Progresses on Campus

Since quarter one, Mrs. Brewer has been vigorously pursuing set design, one of the most important aspects of this production. At this point, Brewer is focused on finding the best props. As previously mentioned, she does this mostly on her own dime, so she stays cost effective by thrifting a majority of the pieces we don’t already have. Recently, Brewer has picked up four chairs, and many other many small items to set the stage. 

Play practice is officially in full swing! Actors are focused on memorizing their lines, which will provide stress relief for Brewer, as the learning process is already difficult. Brewer states that she is “Stressed and in denial,” over script memorization. 

During play practices, actors learn about their “character development.” For example, how would your character stand, what would they say, what would they sound like, what facial expressions would they wear, what are they trying to imply, and what kind of hand gestures would they use? Understanding one’s character plays a large part in bringing the character to life for the audience. Actors are also learning to say “lines convincingly,” as well as to convey  “what their line means.” 

Mrs. Brewer has also been able to put together “Clue” shirts, selling only a few for $25, as most shirts will be for the cast members. 

Roles in the play include: 

• Butler – Cole Younger
  • Scarlet – Nathaly Ramos 
  • Mrs. White – Sophie Becker 
  • Colonel Mustard – Kaden Jenkins
  • Mrs. Peacock – Olivia Gallagher 
  • Mr. Green – Duvany Percy
  • Yvette – Madelyn Donley 
  • Professor Plum – Layne Morris
  • Cook (Alive and Dead) – Diana Estime
  • Assistant to Cook (Alive and Dead) – Siril Jensen 
  • Motorist (Alive and Dead) – Samy Casinova
  • Singing Telegram Girl (Alive and Dead) – Samy Casinova
  • Fortune Teller – Anne Marie Boone
  • Photographer – Giselle Balanica
  • Reporter – Skylar Gephart
  • Assistant French Maid – Serena Luchetta 
  • Assistant to Colonel Mustard – Michelle Green 

Student Director – Patricia Joseph 

Assistant Student Director – Sophie Becker 

Sophie Becker says a typical rehearsal begins with Mrs. Brewer giving new deadlines for the memorization of lines and any other new news or information the cast may need, and the rest of the time the cast “runs through the script and practices character building with each other.” Rehearsal stays structured like this until sometime in January, when the cast is expected to start rehearsing on Saturdays as well as during the week. At that point the cast will be expected to have all their lines memorized so they can focus on their  “movements without having to focus on what we say next.” The cast typically does not have any disagreements, however when they do, they “normally take the issue to Mrs. Brewer, but In the end, she is the director of the show, so she makes the final decisions.” Becker says that if she had to choose a favorite part of being in the play, it would have to be “getting to run through lines with my friends/cast-mates,” but she enjoys the entire process.