Graduating Guidance: Bella’s Been There!

House Poster Signing

Bella Fernandez is a senior at SJN. Throughout her high school career, Bella had been the House Council Homeroom Committee Head, Key Club Vice President, Varsity Swim Team Captain, Beta Club President, a Model U.N. Officer, and a member of National Honor Society, Scholar bowl, and Y.A.C.H.T. Club. Bella is planning to attend the University of Florida next fall and is an excellent example of a true academic scholar. I asked Bella to share some graduating guidance in order to help younger students succeed.

What is your advice to underclassmen?
Take every opportunity provided and join clubs that suit your interests.

If you could go back to prior years, what would you do differently?
I wish I would’ve started a club regarding my passion for science.

What class do you recommend taking and why?
I recommend taking AP Biology if you have an interest in life sciences, especially if you intend on going premed so you don’t have to take it in college.
What was your favorite high school memory?
My favorite memories come from our swim team dinners after the meets, because we are chaotic and we have so much fun.

How bad is your senioritis?
It isn’t that bad. I still show up to class mostly but mentally check out in classes that I don’t like.

What do you plan to study in college, and how did your interests change throughout high school?
I plan to major in neurobiological sciences at UF on a premedical track. My sophomore year, I knew I wanted to do science but was unsure what I wanted to do specifically. I did a research program my summer before senior year that really helped solidify my passion.

Which teacher helped you out the most throughout high school?
I think all my teachers have helped me out a lot, especially my AP class teachers because they forced me to think on a higher level that allowed me to improve as an academic.