Graduating Guidance: Tips from Tye

Tye Phoenix is a senior at SJN. He is a member of the varsity baseball team, NHS, and is a Mazzarello house captain. Tye has gone to SJN for 3 years, and has recently committed to Massachusetts Institute of Technology. To help others learn how to succeed at Neumann, I asked him a few questions.

What is your advice to underclassmen?
Don’t sweat the little things. Don’t obsess over your grades and homework, but still try your hardest.

If you could go back to prior years, what would you do differently?
I would’ve done a better job of balancing out social life and school work. Don’t miss out on your high school experience!

What class do you recommend taking and why?
I recommend taking Pre-Calc with Mrs. Han because it’s a very interesting course, and Mrs. Han does a great job teaching it.

What was your favorite high school memory?
My favorite memory was going to prom in my junior year. Hopefully this year’s prom is just as fun.

How bad is your senioritis?
I want to check out, but it’s hard for me to take my foot off the gas pedal right now. After third quarter, it’s game over. The stress is on its way out.

What do you plan to study in college, and how did your interests change throughout high school?
I’ve always been undecided, and I still sort of am. Right now, I’m thinking biomedical engineering and computer science. I know it will likely change, which is a good lesson to young people. Take life day by day and don’t get overwhelmed with your future because God has a path for each and every one of us.

Which teacher helped you out the most throughout high school?
Mrs. Han helped me the most because I’ve had her all three years that I’ve been at Neumann. Shes a very important piece in the puzzle and I’m forever grateful. With that being said, I’ve had wonderful experiences with all my teachers and I’m forever appreciative for each and every one of them.