Boys Basketball Hopes to Accomplish Bigger and Better Things this Year

Senior Eric Morgan throws a free throw at the pre-season game. Photo taken by Giana DiPietro

November is here and so are the Winter sports. The boys basketball team is in full effect now that Winter season sports have started. They had their pre-season game this Wednesday (11/14/22) at home, against Golden Gate High School. The boys have a great season ahead of them. I talked to their head coach to get more information about this year’s team, and how this season will play out.                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Coach Ward, Head Coach:

I’m very excited about our team this year. We have a veteran group returning at the varsity level that will be bolstered by some young guys stepping into varsity roles. We should be a fun team to watch with a high octane, fast-paced offense combined with multiple defensive looks. As far as guys to watch, I’m excited to see a jump in production and leadership from our 5 seniors, Noah Ross, Eric Morgan, Cameron Klaas, Jose Mejia, and Paddy Kirk. With the additions of juniors Zach Molina, Evan Odom, Patrick Logue, and Kevin Joyce, we have depth at every position that we have previously been lacking. I’m super excited to see how our younger guys adapt to the demands of varsity play. Sophomores, TJ Zelek, Blaise Walczak, Rodenel Anthony, along with Freshman, Jack London, will have many opportunities to show their abilities in front of our awesome crowds. The future of Celtic basketball certainly looks bright. I hope we fill the gym each home game and create a big home court advantage as we compete for a district championship this year.

Does the Team Have any Pre-game Rituals?

Eric Morgan, Team Captain:

One of the pre-game rituals we have is that we all go out and eat together before games. We also come early before the game to the locker room. We sit in the dark and relax together for a little bit before we go out for warm ups. We all do these rituals as a team before every game.

What are You Looking Forward to this Season?

Noah Ross, Team Captain:

I am looking forward to closing out my high school career with a district championship. For 4 years, the goal has always been to have more wins than losses. Also, to win the district championship, but every season, we have simply fallen short. I think this team has the ability to make it happen this year. I can’t wait to see how this season plays out.

The Celtic Boys basketball team will have their first home games of the season on November 23 at 2 and 3pm respectively.