The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

America’s National Parks

Yosemite National Park
    Google Images
    Yosemite National Park

Yosemite National Park is located in California, and covers 758,620 acres of land. The national park is known for its waterfalls, cliffs, lakes, mountains, and groves of sequoia trees. Yosemite is one of the largest pieces of natural land in the Sierra Nevada. The best times to visit Yosemite National Park is between the months of May and September. The park is accessible, but not too crowded in those months. Yosemite is a beautiful place to explore and visit. 

Yosemite provides a diverse habitat for many species. There are more than 400 species of animals that call the national park home, including fish, reptiles, birds, and mammals. Yosemite’s landscape consists of thick forests and an expanse of rocks which allow many different animals to thrive. Approximately 40 species are protected under California’s endangered species legislation. The grizzly bear, California red-legged frog, and the foothill yellow-legged frog are believed to be extinct in the park in recent history. 

One of the most notable and iconic parts of Yosemite are the ancient giant sequoia trees. The Mariposa Grove is the largest grove in Yosemite and over 500 sequoias cover the land. Giant sequoias are the largest living beings on earth, reaching up to 300 feet tall and 30 feet wide. They are also some of the oldest living plants, with some of the trees being over 4,000 years old. 

Overall, Yosemite has some of the best views and trails making it one of America’s most popular national parks. Yosemite was one of the first pieces of land dedicated to preservation, recreation, and enjoyment. Established in 1890, almost 95 percent of the park is classified as wilderness. The park is also home to the largest waterfall in North America, Yosemite Falls. Yosemite National Park is definitely a place to visit and experience. The natural beauty of the park is unmatched, and should be a place that everyone needs to see and enjoy.