The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

Hit or Miss: Red Lipstick

Red+Lipstick
Pinterest.com
Red Lipstick

History: 

Red lipstick has a rich history going back thousands of years. It originates back to ancient civilizations such as Mesopotamia, in which both men and women used red pigments made from natural sources (crushed gemstones and plants) to enhance their features. In ancient Egypt, red lipstick was significant for cultural and religious reasons. One person famously known for makeup was Cleopatra, who used beetles mixed with ant eggs to create the red color for her lips. In the 20th century, red lipstick gained its popularity mostly from Hollywood stars like Marilyn Monroe, who claimed to wear none other than Chanel No.5 and red lipstick. That’s when red lipstick became symbol of femininity, glamor and power. Now red lipstick is a fashion statement and can make or break an entire outfit.

Hit or Miss:

Is red lipstick a hit or a miss? It is definitely a hit because it is an empowering way to make a statement to an outfit. It should be worn with very basic and dark outfits. It works especially well with leopard print, dark browns, and black. It adds elegance and femininity to warm and dark outfits. There are countless shades that come in matte, shimmer, shine, or glosses made from a variety different of formulas. Red lipstick is timeless and beautiful.

Where to buy:

• Dior
  • Fenti
  • Ulta
  • Sephora
  • Charlotte Tilbury
  • Kylie Cosmetics (Kylie Lip Kits)
  • Pat McGrath