The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

America’s National Park

Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone National Park is located in the northwest corner of Wyoming, and extends into Idaho and Montana. It was the first national park not only in the U.S., but the world. Yellowstone is known for its beautiful landscape consisting of geothermal features, such as Old Faithful, and an abundance of lakes, forests, and rivers. The park is also home to many animal species such as grizzly bears, bison, elk, wolves and more. 

Yellowstone National Park is one of the most visited parks in the US, and in peak season (June, July, and August) can be very crowded. The best time to visit is in the months of April, September, and October. Wildlife will be easier to spot, with bears emerging from hibernation and migrating birds arriving. April is widely known as the very best month to visit Yellowstone. Visitors can enjoy snowshoeing, hiking, and camping as well as viewing wildlife. September is also a great time to visit because of activities such as fishing, camping, backpacking, hiking, and of course, wildlife viewing. 

Arguably one of the most interesting things about Yellowstone is its geography. Yellowstone is situated in a region that has been volcanically active for tens of millions of years. Due to tectonic movement, a hot spot has formed, which is a place where a dome of molten rock is close to earth’s surface. Around 2.1 million years ago a hot spot blew up causing the world’s largest volcanic eruptions. This produced the Yellowstone Caldera, an oval shaped basin spanning 30 to 45 miles containing Yellowstone Lake. The region is also active in producing earthquakes. In 1959, one of these earthquakes affected a number of hydrothermal features, including Old Faithful. 

Overall, Yellowstone has an impressive landscape including geysers, colorful acidic hot springs, mountain, lakes, and more. The natural wildlife is also a highlight of Yellowstone National Park. The history and natural beauty definitely make Yellowstone a place worth visiting. Yellowstone National Park, Google Images