The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

Service Spotlight

Bonita Beach Cleanup
Photos from @thehealthyearthorg
SJN Key Club members at beach cleanup and the debris collected

On Saturday, February 17th, members of SJN Key Club participated in The Healthy Earth Organization’s beach clean up event on Bonita Beach. The Healthy Earth Organization’s mission is to provide experiences and resources that allow future generations the ability to develop new ideas and solutions that create a positive change in the world. A total of 55 volunteers were in attendance, and due to their extreme dedication, were collectively able to pick up over 170 pounds of marine debris including, but not limited to, fans, concrete blocks, and plastic water bottles. 

Being involved in this event and seeing the amount of pollution present first hand made it clear that the devastating damage hurricane Ian brought to our community is still prevalent. Yet, with each piece of litter removed, whether big or small, has a huge impact in restoring the overall health of our environment and breathtaking coastline.

The Healthy Earth Organization plans to filter through the debris, save select items, and transform the materials into an art piece to make an exhibit that will be displayed at Florida Gulf Coast University’s Water School. The SJN Key Club greatly enjoyed being a part of this incredible and inspiring event, and are thankful for everyone who made this event possible.