The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Drink Showdown: Strawberry Açai Refresher

Starbucks vs Dunkin
Image from Google.com
Starbucks and Dunkin’ Strawberry Açai Refresher

Dunkin’ Donuts and Starbucks both have their own take on similar drinks. Both of these companies offer fruity and refreshing drinks which I taste tested this week. I tested out the Starbucks Strawberry Açaí Refresher and the Dunkin’ Strawberry Dragonfruit refresher. Overall they are similar drinks but they do have their differences, now let’s compare!

At Starbucks they offer the Strawberry Açaí Refresher. They provide a wide range of customization options including the drink size, lemonade or water, freeze dried fruit pieces, and the amount of ice, as well as many other options. The sizes include a tall, which is 12 oz. for $4.51, a grande which is 16 oz. for $5.04, a venti, which is 24 oz. for $5.57, and a trenta which is 30 oz. for $5.99. The Strawberry Açaí refresher is not overly sweet and contains 21 g of sugar for 16oz. The drink was a well mixed and when I asked for light ice they listened. Overall, I would rate this drink a 9/10 as it is a little pricey. 

Dunkin’ offers a Strawberry Dragonfruit refresher. They do not offer fruit pieces added in, but they offer the drink size, the amount of ice, and if you would like additional sugar added. They offer 3 different sizes including a small which is 16 oz. for $3.17, a medium which is 24 oz. for $3.70, and a large which is 32 oz. for $4.02. Dunkin’ serves this drink mixed with green tea, rather than the water or lemonade that Starbucks offers. This drink tasted much sweeter despite having only 18 g of sugar in 16 oz. They did still give me a lot of ice even though I asked for light ice which was disappointing. The drink did not come well mixed and had the juice on the bottom and the tea on top, so I had to mix it myself. Overall, I would rate this a 7/10 because it did not taste as good and was not well mixed.

I enjoyed the Starbucks Strawberry Açaí Refresher more than the Dunkin’ Strawberry Dragonfruit Refresher. Starbucks is at a higher price point but does offer more customization options. My Starbucks drink was served to me well-shaken and was not full of ice. The drink was much more refreshing and although it has more sugar, it was not as sweet. I think Starbucks is much more consistent with the taste and quality of their drinks and is definitely worth the extra money.