The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

Norte Dame Representative Speaks at SJN

Norte Dame Representative Speaks at SJN

The University of Notre Dame is a Catholic University whose mission is to create a sense of human solidarity and concern for the common good that will bear fruit as learning becomes service to justice. The speaker, Hailey Mendez, talked to the students about the goals of the University.  “It’s a really important thing for students to be actively cultivated in themselves,” she shared, “ our school is not to grow students as just individuals, but to be the force of good in the community in the future.” Mendez went on to explain that Notre Dame is made up of four colleges and two schools. She talked about Mendoza College of Business, and about the medical school they have to offer. She mentioned each school and college while explaining student life as well as social life. She said that they are “ really well-known for the community [they]  have”, and that the campus “ is super lively.” When talking about what Notre Dame is looking for in students, she replied with “ people who really want to engage in our community, and in our mission,” as well as, “ we make it really easy for students to engage in their spiritual journey.” 

When it was time for students to ask questions, Hannah Ramundo asked, “ what is the GPA needed?” Her response was that they “ advise students to apply when their application is strongest”. She continued this and told the students the academic factors  as well as the non-academic factors that Notre Dame would be looking for. For the academic factors, they are looking for rigor of curriculum, test scores, as well as academic performance. She ended explaining that part of the application process by saying that “ GPA is not the main factor we are looking at.” As for the non-academic factors, she stated that they were looking for activities which include sports, clubs, outside activities, service, language, instruments, etc. She then went on to say that the other two factors they were looking for were leadership qualities, and aspects of community building. She said that they needed a letter of recommendation from a teacher who taught a core class. She also recommended a letter from a guidance counselor, but it isn’t required. She said to be honest and genuine in all supplemental essays, and to be upfront. Another student asked, “ Do you offer studying abroad?” she replied, “ in over thirty different countries.” She finished by saying that “ really our alumni base is extremely passionate,” and that she,” hoped to see students from Saint John Neumann at Notre Dame soon”.