The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

Coach Tito – an Inside Look at the Volleyball Team

ADAM KOSZO

As the new school year begins, so does another season for our volleyball team. Volleyball at St. John Neumann has been making big changes since Coach “Tito” Martinez took over the program last year, taking the girls through the first round of district playoffs for the first time in twenty-two years, but now, he wants more. Take a look at this exclusive interview with the coach himself. 

Tell me about your previous coaching experience. 

Coach Tito has coached since he was 19 years old, starting in Puerto Rico. He played in college and was eventually offered the opportunity to coach a U12 team in Puerto Rico. In  2014 he received the opportunity to come to the United States, and began calling Ocala, Florida home, where he coached in both the boys and girls programs. Later Tito moved to another club in Ocala. In 2019 Tito was offered a position to coach in Southwest Florida and has been here ever since. This will be Tito’s second year here at SJN and he currently coaches an U18 team at Gulfside Volleyball Academy. 

What motivates you? 

Coach Tito is motivated by the passion and respect he has for the game. Tito states “Volleyball basically opened doors for me that I never thought would be opened.” He also mentioned that seeing the development and growth of the girls keeps him going. 

How did you discover your passion for volleyball?

Tito discovered his love for the game early in life, having played the sport since he was just twelve years old. He views the court as his personal therapy. Tito mentions the butterflies he still gets every time he steps on the court, preparing his team for another game. He does what he loves and he does it well. 

Tell me about your position at SJN off of the volleyball court. 

Here at SJN, Tito has landed the position of iPad coordinator, and robotics teacher. 

What does a typical practice look like?

A typical practice led by Tito begins with 30 to 45 minutes of conditioning, then moves to ball control drills, leading to specific skills training (this changes from day to day), and finishes off with game situation drills. 

Who do you see being our biggest competitor this season? 

Tito predicts our biggest competitor from class 2A will be Seacrest Country Day School – the back to back state champions from the last two years. 

What are your goals for the team this year? How about for the future ? 

Tito hopes for a year of growth and development for the team. Last year Tito brought the girls to the playoffs for the first time in twenty-two years but he aspires for more. Tito’s ultimate goal for the team is to be one of the top teams in Southwest Florida, and bring home a state championship.

Come see us play! Click to view the full schedule 

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Celtic Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of St. John Neumann Catholic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.