The Student News Site of St. John Neumann Catholic High School

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

The Celtic Times

Catholic Church in Hawaii Survives “Hell-like” Wildfires in Hawaii

With wildfires swarming the island of Maui, the Maria Lanakila Catholic Church survived the Chaos.
Image from Catholic News Agency, Paula Ramon/AFP via Getty Images

In recent news, there has been a wave of catastrophic wildfires all over the island of Maui, which is a part of the Hawaiian archipelago. The wildfires started from the dry conditions and damaging winds that the island was facing. The fires have currently ended the lives of over 100 people and is estimated to cause almost 7 billion dollars in damage. Although these fires have nearly destroyed everything they have touched on the island, one of the buildings that survived was the Maria Lanakila Catholic Church. The reason why it’s so amazing that the church survived the fires is because nearly everything in the town of Lahaina, where the church is located, burned down, claims USA Today. Many people are saying it’s a “Miracle from God” that the church survived the fires. 

According to the Maria Lanakila Catholic Church website. The original church was made out of adobe and grass, but it has been rebuilt and renovated over the years and it is now made out of stone. The town of Lahaina is known for its religious and cultural focus. Maria Lanakila Catholic Church is considered a historical site as it was built in 1846. 

Although the church is still standing, no one really knows how much damage there is to the interior of the church, as it has been closed for safety reasons. The church was and still is very significant to the people that live there, and served a large number of people at their services. The parishioners of the church have said that they plan to spend their free time helping survivors of the fires and that everyone in the community should come together and help each other through these hard times.