Students in an assembly line packing Meals of Hope!
Photo from @sjnkeyclub

Service Spotlight

Meals of Hope

Another common volunteer opportunity for the SJN Key Club is packing food for Meals of Hope. This event usually takes place every couple of months from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Saturday mornings. Each time we gather, 40 selfless SJN Key Club members are in attendance to work as a team in order to pack thousands of meals. Meals can vary from fortified pasta and tomato sauce to fortified lentils, rice, and vegetables. Each meal contains enough food to provide six to eight servings. Tables are set up in an assembly line format with a few students responsible for scooping the ingredients, while others are tasked with weighing the bags, sealing them, and packing up boxes.

Meals of Hope is a nonprofit organization that is committed to bringing people together to fight the hunger epidemic. Founded in 2007, Meals of Hope has packed over 80 million meals that have not only been distributed in communities locally, but also across the nation and world.

Most recently on March 23rd, 40 kind individuals involved with SJN Key Club came together to pack fortified beans and rice casserole. With so many generous volunteers in attendance each time we gather, we are able to work together and pack over 10,000 meals. It is so rewarding to see the global impact our selfless actions have by giving up just two hours of time. It is so incredibly worth it, and brings so much joy to those less fortunate who are in need of our help.