Day in the Life of a Nun

This exclusive interview with Sr. Juliana Alfonso depicts the daily life of a Nun.
Sister Juliana and Cedric the Celtic. Taken by Judi Mclane-Neeld, Director of Philanthropy at St. John Neumann.

Nuns bring a sense of serenity and peace to their surroundings.  Their devotion to God becomes their way of life and a spiritual commitment. We know that Nuns are devoted to the Church, but what do they do in their free time? Are their routines different from our routines, or are we more alike than we think? Read this exclusive interview with Sister Juliana Alfonso on her daily routine as a Nun and a teacher. 

What do you do when you first wake up?

When she first wakes up, Sister Juliana goes on a run, sometimes with the other sisters. After she gets home, she prepares and packs her stuff for the school day. Then, she meets the other sisters at the chapel in the convent for prayer. 

What do you do when you get to school? 

When Sister Juliana gets to school, she heads to mass at 6:50 in the school chapel. Once mass is over, she eats a quick breakfast and heads to her homeroom. Where she watches over her class, goes over any announcements, and plans for the school. 

How many classes do you teach and what do you teach? 

Sister Juliana teaches Theology III, which is the study of God and Religious belief for 11th graders. She co-teaches the Honors Prayer Ministry with Ms. Szczechowski and Sr. Nicole. 

What do you do in your free period and lunch? 

During her free periods, Sr. Julian prepares her lessons, and partakes in Campus Ministry, planning for retreats and events. She also prepares the music for mass and makes sure the choir and pianist have the correct sheet music. 

How does the end of the school day go for you? 

After school, Sr. Juliana gets her plans together in the Campus Ministry Office. At the beginning of the school year, Sr. Juliana has meetings for the grade retreats, on Thursdays she attends Lady Bible Study Meetings, on Monday she attends Choir practice, and she occasionally cooks for the community. After she is done with all her daily activities, she heads home around 4 or 5 and makes dinner. 

How do you spend time with the other sisters in your convent? 

Every night at 5:30, all of the sisters have dinner together, then they have evening prayer. They spend time together like any typical family would, playing games, playing with their dog, watching movies, and even doing chores. Sr.Juliana’s favorite games are Wordle and Connection.

What do you do once it is time for bed? 

Once she has finished playing games and hanging out, Sr. Juliana heads to the Chapel with the other sisters where they partake in spiritual readings. After that, all the sisters split off and Sr. Juliana prepares for the next school day and then goes to bed. 

What made you want to become a nun, and what type of nun are you? Sr. Juliana is a Salesian Sister, also known as a Daughter of Mary Help of Christians. She first had the thought of being a nun in her confirmation class when she was fourteen. After graduating from college, she was inspired by Catholic students when she went on a Missionary Trip to Malaysia. She loved how devoted they were to God. As time went on, God kept putting signs of Salesian Sisters in her life, and she knew whatever the Lord wanted for her would make her happy. She says that since becoming a nun, this is the happiest, most joyful, and most peaceful she has ever been in her life.